Evil Has Arrived

Hello everyone and welcome back to Tiro Finale where we welcome a long awaited Nendoroid to our collection. To our regular readers, it would appear that I have slowed down my figure collection quite a bit as compared to my shopping sprees of the past. While that can be partly attributed to a decline in the number of releases that interest me, it is equally true to say that I have been deliberately cutting down on the number of purchases I make in an effort to succumb to impulse purchases.


But, this new entrant to the collection epitomizes the height of my impulse buying habits. Yet, it is one that I do not regret one bit. In fact, this has been one of the figures I have been looking forward to the most in the better half of this year's first quarter. Care to take a guess as to who it is?


Nendoroid No. 784, Tanya Degurechaff, the embodiment of evil in a little girl has finally arrived! More than just being a really evil person, this Nendoroid also stands out from the rest in my collection for various reasons. One, as I have mentioned earlier, was my intention to pre-order her before I even watched the original Youjo Senki anime. Yes, I was a little late to the then new anime and, following the conclusion of the first season, the Nendoroid for Tanya was announced by Good Smile Company.


Thinking back, I cannot exactly pinpoint what was it that made me want to get her in the first place despite having little to no information about the source material be it the light novel, manga or anime. All I knew was that Youjo Senki was set in an alternative World War 1/2 setting featuring magic with the main protagonist being the titular Tanya (as in the alternative title, Saga of Tanya the Evil). Little did I know, Youjo Senki would slowly move on to become one of my favorite series. 


Those of you familiar with collecting Nendoroid(s) would immediately be able to spot something amiss about Tanya's box namely the design element of the entire box. For most Nendoroid(s), the transparent display window at the front of the box would be limited to just that, the front. Take a look at Tanya's box and one can immediately spot the difference with its panoramic front display window giving a distinctively different look from the other Nendoroid boxes while, still maintaining the signature Nendoroid design language and aesthetic. 


The reason for that change lies entirely in where Tanya was made, Japan. Every now and then, Good Smile Company selects a Nendoroid or two to be manufactured in their Tottori Factory in Japan, making these legitimate "Made in Japan" products. Every single step of the way, as far as the figure is concerned, is handled in Japan in the Tottori Factory and it is something that GSC themselves is very proud of. Thus far, only a handful of Nendoroid(s) have received this coveted distinction with Tanya being one of them. As for which character GSC decides to be made in the Tottori Factory is entirely random with seemingly no pattern to their selection. At least, not one that I have been able to decipher.


Aside from the general presentation of the box, I must say that I am very happy with the overall product that GSC has produced here. The only regret being that I only pre-ordered the standard version which did not come with the GSC Online Shop exclusive, Golden Operation Orb. Nevertheless, there are already great plans to get my hands on one of those!


Being the first Tanya figure to be released, Nendoroid Tanya paves the way for many more Tanya figures to come in the future. While the initial releases may be rather slow following the mass announcements in last year's Summer Wonder Festival, I am cautiously optimistic that things will pick up especially with the upcoming theatrical film. GSC certainly has a premium scale and figma Tanya in the works so, there is that to look forward too. But, one can always pray for an Alter Tanya right? Maybe after they are done working on all their new Fate figures. 


With that, the Tanya collection grows ever larger as the all-important Nendoroid is finally added to the collection. I look forward to adding more Tanya merchandise to the collection, well, as far as my wallet would allow anyway. As always, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask them in the comments section below. I would love to hear what you have to say.


Make sure you stay tuned to Tiro Finale for more Youjo Senki (and other) content. Until the next time, thank you so much for reading and have yourself a wonderful day ahead!

Comments

Popular Posts