Ducky One 2 SF: The Sakura Road

Hello everyone and welcome back to Tiro Finale for more mechanical keyboard content. After using Ducky's Halloween themed key caps for more than a month, I figured it was time to shift things up a little especially since those key caps were beginning to look a little out of season.

While I had thoroughly enjoyed using the Ducky Halloween key caps especially with their incredibly vibrant colors, it was time to put to good use the many other key cap sets that I had that were simply lying around dormant. One such set was a Tai Hao set that had arrived shortly before my Ducky One 2 SF went on a brief 3 month hiatus from its presence at my workplace.

The set in question was Tai Hao's, then recently released, Sakura Michi set of PBT shine through key caps. Out of all the sets that I got this year, this was the one that I was looking forward to the most. I was lucky enough to nab one shortly after release, in which I got together with several of Tai Hao's classic colorways (namely the Rainbow and Miami Lights).

Because the Sakura Michi were actually mounted onto my Ducky One 2 SF prior to switching over to the Halloween set, they had already been neatly arranged in Halloween set's box. On a side note, I finally found my beloved wire key cap puller that I thought was misplaced having not found it after moving houses.

Despite a full month's use, the Halloween key caps that came off were all in very good condition with hardly any signs of wear or dirt. The back plate, of the Ducky One 2 SF, on the other hand, was a completely different story. It was littered with small particles such as dust, debris and hairs. Normally, I would clean my One 2 SF while changing the key caps every fortnight. This is probably the longest my One 2 SF has gone without getting a clean.

Out with the old and in with the new, the Sakura Michi key caps all fall in nicely in place. Aside from the obvious change in colorway, the one other thing that really stood out to me were the fonts and the legend. Being both a PBT and shine through key cap, the Sakura Michi had much bolder and larger fonts than the dye-sublimated Halloween key caps that I had grown accustomed to. While I have no preference when it comes to legend size except for uniformity, I can see the appeal of thin and clean legends that many mechanical keyboard enthusiasts rave about.

With the Halloween key caps now out, it was time for me to bring them through my regular sanitation process for all key caps which come off active duty. The Sakura Michi, on the other hand, will be the active set for the next 2 weeks or so before it get switched out for something else. What might that be? I am still undecided as of time of writing but, as you will see soon, there are more choices than ever for me to choose from.

Into a warm soap bath the Halloween key caps go to wash off any dirt, grease and stains which may have accumulated as a result of direct human contact. To prevent any unwanted chemical reactions, I use lukewarm water and mild hand soap to do the job. The caps do not spend a long time in bath, about half an hour or so, before each key is individually dried with a towel. Then, they are air dried to remove any excess water and placed back into the box they came from.This routine has helped to keep my caps in good working condition every time I go back to them.

Speaking of key caps, earlier I mentioned being spoiled for choice when it comes to selecting a set that comes after the Sakura Michi. On top of the sets I already own and have not used, another two sets came in as a result of a Cyber Monday shopping spree. Two new sets of PBT key caps join the collection. Both  are dye sublimated key caps and one of them, is the much awaited Akko World Tour Tokyo set.

These are my first ever set of key caps from Akko. I have read and heard good things about their keyboards and key caps thus, finally bit the bullet and got myself a set of Tokyo key caps when they were finally available for sale on Banggood. In the meantime, I will be putting the Sakura Michi through the wringer in my upcoming long term review of this gorgeous set of key caps. Until then, thank you so much for reading and have yourself a wonderful day ahead.

Comments

Popular Posts