New Nintendo Switch(s)!?


The rumours are real! The Nintendo Switch is getting an upgrade everyone. And a downgrade? That's right! Two new Switches are coming to the market by (supposedly) the end of 2019 with more info to come during Nintendo's E3 conference in June.

One of the consoles will be a stronger, more beefed up version of the original and the other will be a cheaper, feature-less option. These choices will no doubt make the original Switch almost moot a la the original PS4 when the Pro and Slim were announced.


Now, I kid you not, but I was THIS close to buying myself a Nintendo Switch. I was getting some extra money coming my way soon and wanted to finally break into the Switch scene with all of them media folk. Everyone keeps crying about how good it is and you have me here, sulking away at the fact that I couldn't even afford one.

But this whole announcement threw a wrench into my plans. Now, the weaker Switch isn't even an option I consider. Had this been the new Switch to be announced, I would have gotten the original no questions asked. But the stronger Switch? That drives a harder bargain. I've spoken to some people who currently owned a Switch and according to them, the difference wouldn't be as large as I might think.

I mean, really, there isn't any notable new features they could include for the newer version in terms of its portability and special access. They can't create more vibrations or have two docks can they? The only thing that seems probable would be a larger screen and all-round boost in hardware. Meaning to say, greater processor and longer battery life. Going by how the current Switch can't even run Zelda in 1080p, I'd say this one might be able to get the job done.


With regards to a longer battery life, the Switch currently runs about 4 hours in handheld mode before needing a recharge. While this may seem long, it's actually pretty damn short in the grand scheme of things. One that can last maybe 6-8 hours would definitely be preferred but then again, I have to ask myself: would I even play in handheld mode? The answer keeps settling around a 'No' but I can't fully reject that feature altogether.

Now, normally, I'd automatically just opt for the stronger version. I mean, I've lasted this long without one right? I can wait a few more months and get it then. Thing is, Fire Emblem: Three Houses will be coming out in June and my God do I wanna play that game. Have you seen it!? Also, prices for the original Switch may very well be going down already so I can always pick it up for a better deal. But would it be worth it? Can I live with myself when the current version becomes obsolete?


What do you guys think of the new Switch announcements? I say it's a long time coming but they should have provided more details with a full breakdown shown in E3. That way, I can make my purchasing decisions ahead of time.


Comments

Popular Posts