Game Commentary: Valkyria Chronicles 4


I have finally finished Valkyria Chronicles 4! On to the post-game content!
In case none of you knew, I love the Valkyria Chronicles series. It’s a difficult thing to say especially since I’ve never played 2 or 3 or even the spin-off, Valkyria Revolution. I didn’t like the highschool, anime tone of 2 and 3 (they were also on the PSP, a device I didn’t have) and I found the combat for Revolution an absolute disaster.
That being said, I absolutely adored the first game and VC4 is technically the direct sequel (not in terms of timeline). So, technically, I’ve played the two that are well accepted as true Valkyria Chronicles games. I’m kidding of course but I’m sure most fans would agree that we shouldn’t put 2 and 3 on the same pedestal as these two.
The gameplay of VC4 is a lot more of the same things we loved with VC1 but with additional elements that make it different enough to matter. Now, I didn’t play the remaster of VC1 so apparently, some of these elements came from that version of the game. So, for me, I enjoyed the addition of orders, a new class, the new APC vehicle, terrain changes, unique battle instances, etc. More of the lovely tactical goodness we all desire. Everything else feels pretty familiar, which is a great thing to be said!
The upgrade system sees some interesting new areas added as well such as the promoting of corporal soldiers to squad leaders, class levels that lead to new orders and class traits, a TON of upgrade options, and the mess hall that gives you new orders over time. This contrast between a methodical, relaxed upgrade system with the intense, active combat sequences is what shines through the most with VC4.
Aside from just these two elements, the gameplay goes further by adding squad stories, skirmishes, interludes, and more game-y stuff when you reach the post-game (outfits, soundtrack, special events, etc). My particular favourite are the squad stories where you get to play your favourite character’s side story whenever they reach corporal rank. These stories usually involve 3 side characters in total and builds on all 3 of them thereby fleshing out their character motivations and resolve with the addition of upgrading them after completion. It’s a very basic thing sure, but I’m glad they added this element in nonetheless. It really gives the side characters a chance to shine and add personality to the battlefield.

Now, let’s talk about the story because VC4 has some incredible stuff that goes both ways in all honesty. I’ll start by mentioning some of the poorer performing parts which I feel really detract from the overall experience. There are certain comedic elements with untimely introductions while certain relationships are completely uncalled for, almost as if I was missing an entire chapter. These all play towards a bigger picture but because of the pacing or whatever reason, they fail to help paint that big picture.
But when the game does what it needs to do, it does it extremely well. The game had a terrific run with some really heart wrenching moments and well received light hearted banter to fit the wartime scene but the biggest impact came from the ending. The ending sequence (last couple of hours) nails all the themes the game had going for it. You see the sacrifices of soldiers, you see the corruption that war brings onto people, you see the absurdity of it all. It’s an incredible roller coaster of emotions that finishes in a grandiose display of love, sacrifice and peace. It is without a doubt the most cared for part by the developers in the entire game and I daresay one of the best when it comes to any games touching on war.
The game also receives some great support from a wonderful score with an updated version of the fan favourite Valkyria theme. It really captures the mood of the scene whenever it plays and I really can’t get over how great it is even to this day. The water colour graphics makes a return as well albeit with better attention paid to the character models. I actually appreciate this more than most would because I found the first game to have rather rigid characters with builds roughly similar with one another.
All in all, I completed the main campaign at about 40 hours with a few skirmishes and squad stories (this is dependent on how many unique characters are made corporal in your playthrough). I am going to dive into the post-game content very soon but I don’t expect to spend more than a couple of hours to sift through it. I love the game but I’ve pretty much accomplished all that I needed to during the main campaign.
Also, can we take a moment to appreciate how Azusa is basically Dia? I can’t get the image out of my head. She’s amazing.



Comments

Popular Posts