The Cycles of Figure Collecting

Coming Soon!
What’s this? An article from Takuya about figure collecting? That’s rare! Honestly, while I collect and get into discussions about the hobby (though not to the extent of our other fellow writers), I just don’t really write much about it.

When writing about figures, it usually involves a lot of photography which I don’t really prefer as I am more inclined to experiment with different writing styles and formats to convey my voice. Our fellow snwlprd has tried to get me to write about my collection time and time again but whenever I think about how I’d capture the images and what exactly I want to write about, I feel a little ashamed. The photos I take aren't as good as I'd like them to be and I can’t quite stitch an interesting narrative for an article.
I should give it another shot huh.
Also Coming Soon!
But, this post isn’t a figure review or a wish list. You see, my collection cycle is ending. When I started, it was a massive journey: I had to preorder new figures as they went up, dig around for previously released figures in secondhand shops, and keep a watchful eye for upcoming figures that I had to plan finances for. Of course, I managed all this through great support from my mentor, snwlprd. I’ve even converted other non-believers to the cause.
I’ve gotten all the new figures that I wanted, successfully procured most previously released figures that I wanted and know enough about what’s coming up to plan ahead. The cycle is ending. Now, I use the word cycle because while this may seem like the end, it is not. Figure collecting, at least in my case, is a cyclic venture. You go through a cycle of collecting and when you’re done, you wait for the next one.
I missed my chance to get this sadly.
The initial cycle is usually filled with a lot of tenacity, drive and a ridiculous amount of luck. This is especially so because the hunt for old figures (of which there are only a finite number left) is incredibly trying. This cycle can last as long as…well, it really is up to you. ‘Cycle’ is just the word construct representing my abstract thoughts on the hobby.
My initial cycle ended a while ago. It lasted for slightly over a year. There were still more figures that I wanted to get at that time but from where I was in my life, I didn’t need to get the rest. As such, I considered the initial cycle over; I had obtained all the old figures that I wanted. The new cycle began shortly after that when I doubled down on some unsure purchases while scoring some majorly significant ones.
I'm actually intrigued with Zatanna for...reasons. Just intrigued! Nothing concrete, I swear.
The cycle that I said is ending represents my second cycle. It’s nearing its end with the tentative date set to be the end of the year. After that, who knows when the third cycle would be? See, to say you have a hobby means to engage in it with relative consistency. Moving forward, there are only two characters of which I will purchase their figures: Kurosawa Dia (Love Live Sunshine) and Hamakaze (Kancolle). I highly doubt I’d have their figures raining all year round. This wouldn’t be a problem if I have other figures I want but as of now, there is nothing else I truly need.
I didn’t have time to watch much anime for the last year. That’s about 3 anime seasons I couldn’t participate in. Therefore, I can't consider many upcoming figures. Besides that, deciding to collect other known characters is a major time and money investment, one which I cannot afford to give right now. The characters that come to mind, for me, would be Mashu Kyrielight and Nero Claudius (both from the Fate series). I want to collect them but it just isn’t the right time yet.
Alternatively, if I do decide to suddenly continue my Monogatari collection or obtain more Idolmaster figures, then I reckon I have enough on my plate to start a third collection cycle. As of now though, that is a definitive no. And no, the above Anya isn't enough to push me towards collecting more Imas figures.
As such, it is with a heavy heart that I conclude thi— what!? That’s a Shinobu plush that I have yet to collect! I must have it now! And wait, that looks like a rather cheap Mari Nesoberi. If I get it now, I’d still have enough left over for the posters and can badges… Oh. My. God. A cardholder that’s themed after Dia! I mean, I do need something to hold my train pass…
-

-

Huh, guess it isn't all just about figures...

Comments

Popular Posts