Backdrops

Hello everyone and welcome back to Tiro Finale where today, I complete a simple arts and crafts project. Normally on our blog, the backdrops used for our photo shoots are usually just a simple white backdrop. Being a neutral color with good reflective properties, I decided to stick with white backdrops. 

But after looking at more recent product photos, specifically those done by AmiAmi and Good Smile Company, I started to see the potential in utilizing colored backdrops as a way to complement the subject even more. Plus, I thought it was be a great next step and challenge for me in terms of photography. 

With that in mind, I set out to create to several new colored backdrops with my future photo shoots. Off it was then to my local stationary shop to find the ideal materials to make said backdrops. Bear in mind, I actually had no idea how to make any of these and was just going by what I thought would work well together. 

In the end, I ended up with two backdrops. One silver and another in blue. Both having a textured look, something I achieved using craft paper stuck onto a piece of white manila paper. There were a good variety of colors to choose from when it comes to the colored craft paper. Ultimately, I decided to play it safe and go with the blue and silver options as mentioned earlier.

The final backdrops themselves certainly turned out much better than I had expected. Both version sported a textured finish thanks to the craft paper that I used. This was a look I had wanted to achieve to give some more life to an otherwise simple color fill. Moreover, the metallic sheen of these backdrops also cause light to bounce around more unevenly giving a new look to my shots. 

Photographically, it took some time for me to acclimatize to these new backdrops. Of which, I am still not quite used to. The silver one, for example, reflects a good deal of light which sees me sometimes overexposing the shot. Meanwhile, the blue backdrop messes with the white balance pushing the colors a little off. I am still working on sorting out the kinks but, it is a challenge that I am most certainly looking forward to. 

With two new backdrops, I can now adapt my background choices depending on my subject. The end goal is for these new backdrops to serve as a complimentary factor for the figures/subjects rather than just something that is ignored in the background. Getting it right will take some time and the only was to get better is to take more shots! Back to work then. Until the next time, thank you so much for reading and have yourself a wonderful day ahead!

Comments

Popular Posts