E3 2018 Playstation Hype! Part 1


If you haven't yet read my impressions of the conferences for E3 2018, click right here for it. If you know me, you would know that I'm more inclined towards Playstation than anything else. It would thus make sense for me to be super hype for Sony's conference this year and to have a special appreciation for. Therefore, I'll give you guys a more detailed look into what I thought of the titles Sony showed off. Since it's rather lengthy to talk about everything here in detail, I'll be breaking down the article into two parts.


Firstly, they showed off the Last of Us Part II. I played and really loved the first game so you can guess that I was pretty damn hyped for this one too. Instead of just trailer footage though, they even showed gameplay! I watched the whole sequence in 4K and I can safely say that it is absolutely stunning (even when compressed on YouTube!). Everything looks incredibly detailed and well made and honestly, it's hard to tell whether the characters are just 3D models or actual real people. The gameplay gave me more of what I want and then some! I enjoy seeing a more involved melee combat system as well as the better resource management. It makes the already grounded game a little more varied but also more game-y, in the good sort of way.

But my gosh is it gory. The amount of gore in the gameplay is a little too severe. I can ignore it sure, but I just hope they can tone it down a tad bit mostly because I have a weak stomach. But they DID give a reason as to why they did not and well, my answer is that Ellie is strong and badass regardless of what they do. Though, I won't say it's a bad thing at all. I need to see how far they go with it until the end after all. All in all, a big yes and I cannot wait!


Next up was a demo of Ghost of Tsushima. This game is by Suckerpunch and while I enjoyed Infamous, I wouldn't have thought that they can translate this to a game about samurais and leaves. I mean, look at the leaves! So gorgeous and dynamic. I love how the leaves were displaced into their air whenever they skidded across it. Combine that with the stunning lighting and we have ourselves a samurai game with the perfect atmosphere and direction. The duel scene was incredible not only because of the gameplay but because of the perfectly placed lighting and camera angle that made everything more cinematic and captured the beauty of traditional showings of honorable battles.

The gameplay itself looks pretty much like what I expected. There's stealth, vertical maneuverability, parrying, dodging and some intense blood splatter. What I did not expect but definitely wanted was the instant kill mechanic they showed at the start of the first combat sequence. That deafening silence as the warriors stare at each other right before a quick draw into an instant kill. I don't really know how that works but I want more of it. There were moments of near instant kills later on which clued me in on guessing that it's related to some crit or meter mechanic but I definitely cannot wait to try it with my hands. This is like the Japanese Assassin's Creed (when it was in its prime) that I craved for and I must buy this!


The conference then previewed a quick reveal trailer for a game called Control by Remedy, the creators of Alan Wake and Quantum Break. I initially thought it was a Quantum Break sequel as a multi-platform release because it looks exactly the same but upon researching more about it, I realised it is definitely a little different in some ways. While Quantum Break aimed for more realism in its gameplay, Control just seems more like an action game, though this could be early in development, I'm not sure. I enjoy the whole telekinesis aspect of it what with the object throwing and floating but whether or not I pick this up remains to be seen. Let's just hope we don't get 30 minute live action cutscenes.


Finally, to wrap up Part 1, we have the Resident Evil 2 remake. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when they previewed it but I only understood when I saw Leon. Yes, I'm a bad person for not knowing but Resident Evil was never a franchise I enjoyed. I understand a lot of people have been asking for this and well, more power to them. This looks fantastic! I just, you know, won't ever play it.

I will continue the rest of my impression in Part 2! So stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts