Mami Wishlist - Polygonia, CP/Fairyland Tomoe Mami

Hello everyone and welcome back to Tiro Finale for the second chapter of Mami Wishlist where I look at the rarest and most sought after Mami merchandise. In the first chapter, we covered an obscure yet still affordable piece of Mami memorabilia. Today, we will also be taking a look at the obscure. Just this time, it is anything but affordable as I came to learn about this doll from Mandarake together with its whopping five figure price tag and equally impressive history. Without further ado, let us take a closer look at the Polygonia, CP/Fairyland Tomoe Mami doll. 


I first stumbled upon this Mami doll from a seemingly innocuous daily email from Mandarake informing me of any new Mami merchandise in-store. Normally, it would just feature goods and figures I already had and I thought this was to be no different as I was about to close my email until I noticed the bewildering 70,000 Yen price tag. Intrigued, I read the title but, had little clue what the Polygonia Tomoe Mami was. This was my first time reading about it, and opening the link within the email I was linked to a used Mami doll which appeared to not only be highly detailed but also built to the highest standards of scrutiny. 


At this point, curiosity had taken full grasp of me as I wanted to know more about this doll. I seemingly asked myself how it could be possible for a Mami doll that I have not seen, much less read about. Some bit of research on MFC later and I discovered the almost mythical story of this 40 cm doll. Names like Polygonia and CP/Fairyland may not ring much of a bell, even for seasoned doll collectors and that is because they function mostly as circles selling resin garage kits. These two circles were the manufacturers behind this hyper limited Mami doll which unlike conventional garage kits was actually sold at Polygonia's online store rather than at events and exhibitions.


Released in 2012 with pre-orders running through May 2011, the asking price for this Mami doll then was 78,000 Yen. A hefty amount of small change even by today's standards and each doll would be made to order, no more and no less. Couple the steep asking price with the limited order window and you have yourself the perfect recipe for a doll that would only soar in price post-release. Circa 2018, the asking price for this doll is north of 100,000 Yen for a used one. Mint condition ones are almost unheard of and despite the crazy re-sale price, demand is still extremely high especially among hardcore Mami collectors. Case in point, the one particular piece which Mandarake sold for 70,000 Yen was sold out in less than an hour. 


Personally, I find it a very hard pill to swallow, the thought of spending 100,000 Yen on a single Mami item. With both of my RAH Mami dolls, I already considered them to be the upper limit of what I would ever spend and, even then, I was lucky to get them at lower than normal prices. With the Polygonia Mami doll, I am not so sure. On one hand, the thought of owning a legendary piece of Mami memorabilia such as this is almost too hard to pass on. On the other hand, the doll costs almost as much as my monthly salary. 

Normally I would end by saying these are the kind of things which keep me up at night. But the sheer rarity of these dolls mean I never have to dwell on the topic. The only question is, the next time she does come up for sale, will it be me who will be adding it to the shopping cart? With that, we come to the end of the second chapter of Mami Wishlist. I hope you have enjoyed this chapter and if you have any suggestions on how we can improve the series, do let us know in the comments section below. Until the next time, thank you so much for reading and have yourself a wonderful day ahead!

Comments

Popular Posts