My 10/10 Anime

 Recently, Takuya wrote an article entitled "MyAnimeList Ratings" which talks about the concept of a Perfect 10 anime. It was certainly an interesting read especially to understand what goes through the minds of various fans of the anime and manga genre. The article then ended with the simple question, "What's a 10/10 for you then?". My reaction was as follows, 

Truthfully, I have never given much thought about the anime that I watch, much less bother to grade and rank them. For me, I would like whatever suited my interested while watching a wide variety of anime. More often that not, I would keep what I liked to myself and, perhaps, a small group of friends. But, never did it occur to me to score each of my favorites. 

And so, I was now on the quest to find the perfect 10 anime by creating a rather rudimentary yet objective way of scoring each anime that I have watched. The scoring system for the 10 points would be broken down into visuals (3 points), audio (3 points), story (3 points) and X-factor. The X-factor was particularly unique because it served as a bonus point for any shows that I found to be particularly relatable or interesting. For the sake of keeping the article's length manageable, I chose to only shortlist my favorite anime (in no particular) order and see how they stacked up against my scoring system. Would I be able to finally find my 10/10 anime? Read on, to find out!

Full disclosure: I do not actually watch much anime with my past-watch list having largely consisted of recommendations from friends.

1. SoniAni: Super Sonico The Animation
  • Visuals - 2 
  • Audio - 2 
  • Story - 2
  • X-Factor - 1
  • Total Score - 7
We start of the list with one of my guilty pleasures, Super Sonico the animation. For most, this 12 episode anime produced by White Fox would strike of as being rather mediocre to most and that is duly reflected in the 7/10 score that I gave for it. Ordinarily, an anime such as this, would receive a score of 5-6/10 at best from me. But, it is the X-factor which gives the series that something special, distinguishing it from the rest of the anime I have watched. In particular, episode 7 "Star Rain" which chronicles Sonico's soul-searching mission is almost entirely responsible for the X-factor. Already a fan of Super Sonico even before watching the anime, episode 7 truly opened my eyes to the beauty and simplicity of everyday life which was something I had not expected to experience from an anime about Super Sonico no less. If you were to only watch one episode of the entire series, do yourself a favor and watch Episode 7: Star Rain. 

2. Psycho Pass (Season 1)
  • Visuals - 3
  • Audio - 2
  • Story - 3
  • X-Factor - 1
  • Total Score - 9
Psycho Pass is an absolutely masterpiece but, you probably already knew that. Made by one of my all time favorite studios, Production I.G., Psycho Pass had me hooked on the first episode and earnestly wanting more by the time it ended. Sure, it may be marred by a terrible second season and lackluster movie. But none of that is enough to take away from the sheer psychological thriller that is Psycho Pass. With a score of 9/10, Psycho Pass is only one point shy of a perfect score. So close!
3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1st & 2nd GiG)
  • Visuals - 2.5
  • Audio - 3
  • Story - 2.5
  • X-Factor - 1
  • Total Score - 9 
Another masterpiece by Production I.G., we have Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Unlike Psycho Pass' 22 episode run, Stand Alone Complex goes for the long haul with a 52 episode, 2 season run and two over-arcing plot lines. As a result of this, the story does feel a little slow at points and incredibly difficult to follow at others, which throws it just shy of being the perfect psychological-investigative masterpiece. More than a decade old now, Stand Alone Complex does look a little dated but, the animations still hold up incredibly well even in Full HD resolution. Overall, Stand Alone Complex gets a 9/10 score and still remains to be one of my favorite series especially in the sci-fi genre.


4. Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Original + Movie)
  • Visuals - 3
  • Audio - 3
  • Story - 2.5
  • X-Factor - 1
  • Total Score - 9.5
To be perfectly honest, I absolutely hated Madoka Magica after I had finished watching it. I thought the ending was too contrived, too convenient and left far too many questions unanswered. I was angry even at what had shown such promise in its final half. And then, I slept on it and felt a little better the next day and so on and so forth with each day getting better and better. By the time it had been a week, I had come to terms with things. Somehow, things seemed to get better the more you analyze the series and realize the insane amount of depth the story manages to capture in just 13 episodes. By the end of the month, I had come to realize what an actual masterpiece it was. By the end of the Rebellion movie, I was convinced this would be a defining work of this generation. For the most part, I am not wrong. Still, Madoka Magica is 0.5 points shy of perfection because of the bevy of yet unanswered questions which prevent the story from being absolutely perfect. 

5. Love Live! School Idol Project (Season 1 & 2 + Movie)
  • Visuals - 2.5
  • Audio - 3
  • Story - 2.5
  • X-Factor - 1
  • Total Score - 9
The unwillingness to give up without hard work is just stupidity and stubbornness. While, the unwillingness to give up coupled with hard work births brilliance and excellence. In high school, I tried very hard to be the best student I could be but, as time passed and I graduated onto college and university, I began to decline. I got lazier, complacent and lost my goal in life. At points, I was just moving from day to day resolved with my self-indulgent delusions that I had everything under control. A series of rude awakenings later and that protective bubble around me was burst. Things were tough, very tough until, one day, Love Live came into my life and things have never been the same ever since.

Say what you will about the series or how it is just a cash-in on the idol phenomenon. Still, the original Love Live holds a very special place in my heart. Following the 9 members of Muse literally work their hearts out to finally reach the top spot both in fiction and reality is an inspiring story to behold. If there is only one thing that Love Live gets right, it is that talent and passion alone is not enough to bring you to the very top. For that, you need an insane amount of hard work. Because success cannot come saying you want to achieve something, you actually need to go out and do it!

6. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
  • Visuals -2.5
  • Audio - 3
  • Story - 2.5
  • X-Factor - 1
  • Total Score - 9
It should be noted that I am a big fan of the Gundam series having watched almost every Gundam anime production with several hundred Gunpla(s) in my collection. That being said, I have chosen to pick Gundam Unicorn as my center of focus because of its ambition and impact it had on both the Gundam Universe and real world. Keeping spoilers aside, Gundam Unicorn holds the key to a revelation that has the entire fabric of the core Universal Century (original Gundam's) timeline on ransom and its revelation is nothing short of spectacular. Meanwhile, Gundam Unicorn also saw the resurgence of the Gundam series in the mass market. Much of the recent popularity of Gundam anime and merchandise can be stemmed to Unicorn. As such, it is no surprise that the next 1/1 Gundam statue will be, befittingly, Gundam Unicorn. 
7. Ghost in the Shell (1995 film)
  • Visuals - 3
  • Audio - 3
  • Story - 2.5
  • X-Factor - 1
  • Total Score - 9.5
Ghost in the Shell is the yardstick to which I hold against all other sci-fi series. Never has such a Japanese science fiction series, short of Gundam, have such a widespread and everlasting impact on not just the Western but, entire world. It is important to know, what you and I term as heavy sci-fi with its gritty, grounded and realistic coherent world can find its roots in Ghost in the Shell. Even when viewed today, the original Ghost in the Shell film is an absolute masterpiece and holds up effortlessly against modern animations. The stellar audio and visuals may be one thing but, the psychological sci-fi tale of self discovery is another stroke of brilliance in and of its own. Admittedly, sci-fi story lines can sometimes fall short due to inconsistencies and a lack of emotional connection with Ghost in the Shell being no exception. Another Production I.G. masterpiece and one of my absolute favorites, it falls just short of perfection.
8. The Wind Rises
  • Visuals - 3
  • Audio - 2.5
  • Story - 3
  • X-Factor - 1
  • Total Score - 9.5
The Wind Rises, my all time favorite Studio Ghibli film next to Porco Rosso, takes the final spot on this list because what "top anime" list would not be complete without a Studio Ghibli film. It would come as no surprise that all of Ghibli's films are very highly rated but, I have chosen to feature only The Wind Rises because it undoubtedly remains to be my favorite among all of Hayao Miyazaki's masterpieces. Why? For one, The Wind Rises had me feeling a genuine connection to the protagonist's honest plight to build something beautiful. To me, there is nothing more important to doing a job earnestly and honestly. Because you want to and not, because you need to. Till the day I finally can say I did it because I wanted to, I will never forget the lessons I learned from The Wind Rises.
By the end of it all, we arrive with none of my favorites having scored a perfect 10. "What could the problem be?" I asked myself as I struggled to think of any other show which could top the existing anime that I have listed. Was there something inherently wrong with the scoring system (which I do not doubt there is) or was there something inherently wrong with me (which I do not doubt either)? In the end, I realize that the perfect 10 anime just has not existed for me just yet. In fact, I likely do not even know what a perfect 10 anime for me would be. Perhaps it could be the Monogatari series that I am now currently watching? Whatever it is, I faithfully await for the day where I will be able to give an anime a perfect 10 score, even if that day never comes. 

With that, I am going to end this article with the same way it started. 

What's a 10/10 for you then?

Comments

Popular Posts